The Enigma Of Thedas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The hell is this?

+7
Kristoff Rickenheimer
Halrent
Templar of the Imperium
Tal-Vashoth Saarebas
Healing_With_Magic
Isen
Cailla Flavius
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The hell is this? - Page 4 Empty Re: The hell is this?

Post by Halrent Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 pm

No demons here, either. Just a dwarf who found a book in the Deep Roads.

Halrent

Back to top Go down

Post by Templar of the Imperium Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Hedge Your Bets wrote:Ridiculous. I just watched these letters scrawl themselves. You cannot convince me that does not scream Veil piercing. All this talk of identical books is a horribly transparent ploy to deceive me into lowering my guard. If I see the slightest suggestion that repeating some impenetrable gibberish phrase will allow me to meet you in person, I'm putting a dirk through this ratty tome.

This soggy country is full of woods. I'm looking at the fringe of one right now. Why don't you step out and show me how you dance. Better yet, show me your innards and we'll work out good and proper what is demon and what isn't.

As for you, 'Saarebas', I know little of the Tal-Vasoth but I do know I should draw steel on you almost as soon as any abomination.

So you're writing in blue ink, talking to things you deem as demons. If we were demons, would we not do something far more subtle?

Templar of the Imperium

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm

...You know, when I first noted the scrawlings in this tome, I thought it odd only in that someone would waste their time writing conversations in a ledger, except perhaps to produce fake signatures by practicing different styles of handwriting.

Clearly I was mistaken, as tomes typically don't insist on making themselves comfortable in my travelers pack. Even home in Solas, you would not typically see such a thing parted from the hands of magisters.

I greet you, strangers. May the Lord of Night keep you safe in your travels

Last edited by Disciple of Night on Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Lord of Night? What's that?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 pm

He is my patron lord, and of the Seven, one of two still bound in our reality.

Lusacan is his name.

Last edited by Disciple of Night on Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Seven?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Sun May 05, 2013 10:21 pm

The Seven Old Gods. Surely, even the followers of so called Maker know of them, yes?

Last edited by Disciple of Night on Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Uncle doesn't tell me much besides about the Maker.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Your uncle's education has been sorely lacking. Do the words Dumat, Golden City or Blight mean anything to you?

Last edited by Disciple of Night on Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 10:45 pm

The Golden City used to be a paradise. Then evil mages made it turn Black which made the Blight. I have to avoid anything to do with the Blight at all costs.

If I see a Darkspawn, run away like I did before.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Mon May 06, 2013 3:15 am

That is a very simple rendition, and yet it still exemplifies the age old lies the Chantry has polluted the world with for aeons.

I shall instruct you the truth of the matter, so you might better understand the nature of the world.

Our world was created by the Maker, who had abandoned the first world of his creation, the Fade, using that world to house his power, but finding his first children empty. Without any guidance, they devolved into simple entities, with potential for great power little, but easily defined by even the most simple of emotions.

Our world then came to be, but even then, the Maker was apathetic of his creation. The only emotion he would ever express would be anger and jealousy. To the nascent humanity, came the Seven Old Gods. Deities who came to us in the form of great and powerful Dragons, each representing a concept they strove to impart on us.

Dumat, First and Most High, taught us the value of Silence, both as burden, and a means of achieving clarity.

Zazikel, Mistress of Chaos, illustrated the power of change, prompting us to adapt and learn of an ever shifting reality.

Toth, the Dragon of Fire, showed the strength that lies within cannot be quenched, providing light for us in the darkness.

Andoral, Dragon of Unity, proved that whatever power we have alone is finite compared to the strength we would wield as one.

Urthemiel, the Teacher of Beauty, revealed to us that potential for beauty that lies within and without.

Razikale, Dragon of Mystery, taught us never to fear the unknown, to seek and part the veil for the truth.

Lusacan, my patron, Evening Lord, taught us not to fear darkness, and to see in the night the greater shape of our universe.

From them, we learned much, harnessing our power for both good and evil. But the Maker, jealous to see that our worship was no longer directed at his faceless spirit, imprisoned the Seven deep beneath the earth. Seeking the power needed to free the gods who'd taught us so much, we went to seat of the Maker's power. In his cruelty, the Maker unleashed the Blight upon the world, risking the end of all life for the sake of petty jealousy, twisting both the Old Gods and all who live into twisted mirrors of all races.

That is the the truth the Chantry who swallow its lies seek to deny

Last edited by Disciple of Night on Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 am

I am Saarebas of the Tal-Vashoth.

Hmph. Theology.

Does it truly matter if this Maker exists or if his vaunted cruelty and pettiness brought the Blights upon this world?

The Darkspawn exist.

These so called "Old Ones" lead the Blights.

To end a Blight, they must be killed.

It is of no consequence of who or what started them in the first place. They are a threat to your land of Thedas, and it should not matter if mages turned a gold city into a black one and brought the Blights with them, or if these dragons used to be gods and are responsible in some way either.

What is done is done. Focus upon the utter destruction of the Darkspawn.

Even I recognize the threat, and I am from a different land entirely.

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am

Sometimes being an outsider gives you unbiased perspective. I agree that the focus should be on the Darkspawn rather than the petty squabbles between nations, mages, templars, elves, humans, and on and on and on. But then, I am also biased.

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

Running away from Darkspawn is all I can do.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 am

That is why I and people like me exist Isen.

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am

What do you mean?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Mon May 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Templar of the Imperium wrote:
So you're writing in blue ink, talking to things you deem as demons. If we were demons, would we not do something far more subtle?

It brings out the colour of my eyes.

And yes, of course I would expect more subtlety of demons. That is why only the second line I penned in this wretched thing suggests this would have to be the work of particularly stupid creatures.

It matters not, though. I have accepted you are likely real people in some similarly ungodly crease of Thedas. That, or I am simply going mad. I am sure I could learn to love madness, there is a certain blissful ignorance in it, no?

Oh, and while on the subject, I am getting a marvelous sense of insanity from this Disciple fellow. This little ongoing narrative thing beats any stuffy old history book for sure. Perhaps I shall hang on to this cheese crusted bit of tat a while longer. It makes for lighter evenings than huddling by camp fires waiting for the wolves to grow bold at any rate.

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Isen wrote:What do you mean?
I mean that there are people whose job it is to fight darkspawn, to make sure that people like you do not have to flee them.

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 am

Oh yes, and those people did such a wonderful job last time.

So many spared the harsh life of the refugee. Of course, that is because the darkspawn butchered them in their homes before they were given the chance, but these are just technicalities, no?

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 am

Hedge Your Bets wrote:Oh yes, and those people did such a wonderful job last time.

So many spared the harsh life of the refugee. Of course, that is because the darkspawn butchered them in their homes before they were given the chance, but these are just technicalities, no?
And it was also the shortest Blight ever seen. Every previous Blight has lasted ten years or longer and has required a coalition of at least a half dozen nations to defeat. We got off easy. You can be certain that if the Fifth Blight had gone according to pattern that there would be no Fereldan now.

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 am

Oh, do not mistake me. I am more than glad to not have been dragged into the ground by a rampaging horde of monsters. But it does also seem that the alacrity of our victory was more luck than anything else.

One does not expect the shortest Blight in history to begin with the almost complete extermination of the resident Grey Wardens, I should think. And yet it happened.

Given just how many unremembered smallfolk died between Ostagar and Denerim, I struggle to grasp the notion of 'just a quick Blight'.

But where is the fun in navel gazing? Ferelden is as grey and brown as ever it was, and we should be rejoicing that the darkspawn were halted before they could lay waste to our precious towers of mabari shit. Surely only the dwarves have it better?

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am

For your benefit I shall teach some history and contrast.

Dumat rose up as the Archdemon of the First Blight. Nearly the entirety of Thedas was overrun, the Dwarves nearly exterminated in a rampage that left only Orzammar and Kal-Sharok intact. Dumat ravaged the length and breadth of Thedas for two hundred years before he was overcome. And though the Tevinter Imperium survived, it was weakened by two centuries of constant slaughter and set up for the rebellion of Andraste.

The second blight occurred with the rise of the Archdemon Zazikel. The horde tore through the Anderfels and well into the Orlesian Empire and the Free Marches. The blight lasted ninety years before the combined forces of the Grey Wardens, the Orlesians, and the Tevinters finally defeated and killed the Archdemon at Starkhaven. The blight ended there, but the Orlesian Empire was severely weakened and the Anderfels broke off to form a new nation. Vast portions of the Anderfels were rendered entirely barren, so blasted that not even the dead would rot. No insect would live long enough to touch the corpses.

The Third Blight came with Toth, and it erupted in the heart of Thedas assaulting four cities in Orlais and the Tevinter Imperium. Though they were turned back, the darkspawn continued to rampage through Nevarra and the Free Marches for fifteen years before Toth was put down by a coalition of Wardens, Orlesians, and Tevinters.

Finally the Fourth Blight comes with the Archdemon Andoral. They overrun Antiva in short order before pouring into Rivain and the Free Marches. The blight also rises once more in the Anderfels, darkspawn laying siege to the capital, Hossberg. Once again the Orlesians and Tevinters drive the darkspawn from their borders and into the Deep Roads but this time send no aid to their devastated neighbors. Eight years after the rise of Andoral the Wardens raise an army of Anders and break the siege of Hossberg. From there the army marches north and four years later the Blight ends at the Battle of Ayesleigh.

Compare these world shattering wars to the Fifth Blight. The Fifth Blight lasted two years and remained confined to a single nation. A nation that now, after all that, still stands strong. It is regrettable that so many died. But in the end this Blight was cut short before it hit its stride, and the blood shed was a drop beside the oceans shed in the Blights of days past.

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 pm

A set of magic books that allow conversation between people leagues apart almost as easily as talking, and you wish to turn them into yet another history book. The Maker is cruel indeed, to guide such wonderful toys into the hands of such utter dullards.

Yes. The Blight of our time was a good deal less 'end of the world' than its predecessors. So why, in all of your blather, did you not stop to consider that what I said maybe stands on even greater merit in such contrast. We were lucky. It was no army of noble and proud Grey Wardens, no putting aside of old grievances between nations who were at war not one full lifetime ago that beat back the darkspawn. It was one person and a lot of luck.

And you can talk of the suffering of bygone ages all you like, I suspect it would be of small comfort to the poor sods taken by the darkspawn this time around. Or their families. Tell me, is this how you would comfort some poor girl widowed by Ostagar? "Oh, hush your tears, dear, this Blight is nothing! Why, if you had seen the last one you should probably be dead too! Your husband was but a drop besides the oceans shed in that one, so really it matters not, ho hum!"

All I wish to point out here is that telling people like our dear innocent Isen up there that people "whose job it is to fight darkspawn" - come now, do not be so coy, you can tell us if you are or are not a Warden - and that they will protect the humble smallfolk from having to flee their homes is a churlish falsehood. The Wardens, even overeager blowhards like our dear defeated King Cailan, do their utmost, I cannot fault them that. But they are protectors of a people, not all people. And honestly history suggests they have currently only succeeded through some bloody combination of sheer attrition and barefaced luck.

Now please, can we not use this marvellous book to complain about Ferelden weather, or gossip about which of Denerim's nobility was found drunk and without pants this particular morning? Something interesting, you see? Rehashing old tales of death and darkness is so disheartening.

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Kendrah Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Did I say that the Wardens would make sure no poor family would ever have to flee their homes? I did not. That tends to be what happens during wars. Would I use this to comfort some woman widowed in the last Blight? No. But since you have not started shouting that we failed to save your wife, or husband, or child I assumed that you are simply one more person angered by our inability to save everyone.

No we cannot save everyone. No we cannot make sure that nobody will need to flee their homes. But I did not speak falsely, I said that it is our job to keep people, all people, safe from the darkspawn. We do that job to the best of our abilities, given the tools, the knowledge, and the people we have.

To strive for perfection is admirable. To expect it is foolishness. People will die and flee their homes in Blights and we cannot be everywhere at once. We are the protectors of all people, not a person. We would like to protect everyone, but there are no perfect choices in war. One must save what one can.

Regardless, I was attempting to give the girl some sense of security. That you need deny her that to salve your own bitterness says much. If you do not wish to rehash old tales of death perhaps you should not have brought it up in the first place?

Kendrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Maker, you are dull. And jumping to all sorts of conclusions.

I hold no bitterness towards the Grey Wardens, I simply hold no faith in their ability to protect people. Oh, to be sure they might save a nation, here or there, or a hive of nobles like Denerim. Had the Blight spread far enough, though, I know for a fact there would have been no Wardens holding the gates of my home. That does not make me angry, I simply accept they are somewhat less than helpful, as allies go.

I see I have at least coaxed a 'we' out of all this, so it has not all been a waste of time. Hold your banner a little higher, Grey Warden, the blades of Loghain's assassins have long been sheathed. But maybe hold your nose a little lower. We have magic books, after all, why waste them with solemnity?

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum