The Enigma Of Thedas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Experiment In Tome Durability.

+2
Hedge Your Bets
Tal-Vashoth Saarebas
6 posters

Go down

An Experiment In Tome Durability. Empty An Experiment In Tome Durability.

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Sun May 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I am Saarebas of the Tal-Vashoth.

There has been talk of destroying these tomes. I have decided to make a log in which all efforts to destroy or otherwise make the tome unusable are logged for future reference.

Experiment #1: Wetting the pages.

A simple enough experiment in which you simply pour water on the pages to ruin the tome or any writing upon it. Water immediately dried when poured onto tome pages, and the writing was kept intact.

Experiment #2: Tearing out the pages.

Another simple experiment, in which pages are torn from the binding. Torn out pages are immediately replaced, as was any writing on torn out pages.

Experiment #3: Use of a knife.

Well, it would be a sword to you basra.

Stabbing through the tome does nothing, as any damage caused to it is immediately repaired.

So we can infer physical damage to the tome is pointless.

I will not attempt my magic upon it, for magic is temptation and invites danger from both physical mobs and from the ethereal.

I will log down other attempts here.

Future Experiments:

Experiment #4: Cheese. Performed by: An Odd Basra.

Stuffing cheese into the binding and onto the pages does nothing. Smell remains.

Experiment #5: Ale and Fighting. Performed by: A Bearded Man Of About One and a Half Meters (known as "dwarves")

Ale brewed in an apparently underground fortress does nothing when spilled on it. Nor does getting tramped by dwarves.

Experiment #6: Sinking into the Sea Via Anchor. Performed by: A Sailor of Some Sort I Would Imagine

Attached the ledger to an anchor which was than lowered into the sea. The ledger proceeded to find itself back in the possession of the sailor and smelled of salt water. The smell of salt reminds me of my home. Unpleasant.

Experiment #7/#8: Burning Pages/Burning the Book. Performed by: An Basra Woman and An Unknown Man/Woman, Respectively.

Ripping out the pages and burning them destroys the pages, but not permanently so. Burning the book is much the same result.

Last edited by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas on Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 am; edited 3 times in total

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

An Experiment In Tome Durability. Empty Re: An Experiment In Tome Durability.

Post by Hedge Your Bets Sun May 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Against my better judgement...

I can confirm stabbing is rather... ineffective. You see, after I saw this appear so soon after I threatened to do just that, I decided these were indeed the words of a demon, one who feared my threat and had invoked yet another feeble attempt at misdirection. After all, assuring me stabbing the book would not work would be a good way to dissuade me from stabbing it, no?

So I stabbed it and, well, it fixed itself. Just as the Qunari, or the ex-Qunari or whatever it is alluded.

Maybe it is true you are no demons. With that in mind, I may as well add something to the list. Based on how this thing came into my possession...

Stuffing the spine with half a pound of Orlesian soft cheese seems to do little to discourage these scribblings. Indeed, the pages are remarkably free from stains. Sadly, whatever magic wards these things apparently does little to dispel the rather distinctive odour.

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Halrent Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Getting a flagon of orzammar ale spilled over it and getting trampled in a bar fight doesn't hurt it either.

Not really an intentional experiment, just sayin. These are tough little bastards.

Halrent

Back to top Go down

Post by Disciple of Night Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I will contribute one experiment. When the ship I am travelling on weighed anchor, I attached the ledger to it, to see if it would sink and remain in saltwater. Not only did it somehow return to me, despite witnessing it sink before my eyes, it came back dry.

It does however smell of saltwater, which is not entirely unpleasant.
Disciple of Night
Disciple of Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 pm

It doesn't catch fire as a whole. But pages torn out do!

This will be great for kindling!
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 pm

I am Saarebas of the Tal-Vashoth.

But does the burnt page stay permanently destroyed or not? Mundane or magical fire?

There are things to consider, basra.

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Regular fire. How could I get ahold of magic fire?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Flame Of The Five Seals Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am

I have attempted to rip pages out of this tome, but they seem to replicate within the book itself when I am not looking. I do not understand why, but when I tried burning this book to a crisp, the book remained in it's previous state without even so much as a charred corner. Just the lingering smell of smoke.

It would seem as though this Tome's "magical properties" prevent harm until they are removed from the source. In this case, the pages. Or at least, I have seen such.

The pages make find Kindling, but burn quickly.
Flame Of The Five Seals
Flame Of The Five Seals

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down