The Enigma Of Thedas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Does Kadan Mean to You?

4 posters

Go down

What Does Kadan Mean to You? Empty What Does Kadan Mean to You?

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I am curious as to how bas define their concepts of kadan, or "that which lies close to the heart" in terms that you would understand. To the grand majority of my people, it means something more important in a personal sense than basalit-an. To be basalit-an means that you are a foreigner who is worthy of utmost respect, a worthwhile person.

Kadan is different.

Kadan means that the person you think is... special. It could be a trusted colleague, or a friend, or a person you love. You do not only respect them; you would lay your life on the line for them, and follow them anywhere. It is something that is reserved for those you truly value. Basalit-an may be one in one thousand, but kadan are one in one hundred thousand in this world.

Kadan is like the bee to the flower, the canvas to the painter, the bountiful harvest to the farmer, the gentle breeze of spring to a dandelion. Kadan helps, and kadan gives, and you give back in equal measure. Without kadan, one is incomplete in life.

What is kadan to you?

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

What Does Kadan Mean to You? Empty Re: What Does Kadan Mean to You?

Post by Hedge Your Bets Mon May 13, 2013 9:52 am

My shoes.

They are so very graceful, all leather and suede and silk laces. Nothing has ever fitted my feet so well, nor have I known such wondrous comfort. They have fabulous little raised heels and deep green stitching. I bought them from an Orlsesian merchant two years ago. They are wasted on Ferelden muck, of course, so I barely get chance to wear them.

But they are probably more dear to me than anything else.

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Halrent Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Huh. I suppose... To me, and probably any dwarf worth the trouble of asking, Kadan would be my House, the Paragons, and Orzammar itself.

Without Orzammar, I wouldn't exist, obviously. And her defense is my single greatest purpose. My House is my family, and their honor and survival is what I get in return for fighting. And the Paragons shape our cultures, our Houses. They are the best of us, alive or dead, and we should all try to emulate them.

Halrent

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Tue May 14, 2013 6:16 pm

My uncle and Sparkles are my Kadan I think. They're the only people I talk to besides the occasional Dalish that come close to my home.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am

I am Saarebas of the Tal-Vashoth.

I am not quite sure I understand. Shoes. Were they given to you when your priestesses gave you your lot in life? Are you a cobbler? Is it like how a soldier's sword is their soul?

Dwarf, I am uncertain of what a Paragon is, but it sounds much like the Tamassrans of my homeland, and yet you seem to give them the title of Qunoran Vehl, even if they live. Such a thing could be dangerous.

As for you, Isen... I am not entirely sure what an "uncle" is.

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

My father's brother. He's been raising me for as long as I can remember. Something about how no one else can.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm

What is a father?

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Uh...male parent?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedge Your Bets Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 am

My poor, befuddled Qunari, if you are still taking me at my word, truly you have learnt nothing.

I suppose it is unsporting of me to not even attempt an honest answer. So yes, there are people of great importance to me. People to whom I owe, if not my life then at least my way of life. But do not expect to speak of them in something so... public. Maker knows just who else is quietly reading these things.

My travelling companion in particular comes to mind, I am sure somewhere in his addled memory are deeds that would draw unwanted attention. I am not so sure I would ascribe to him all those qualities 'kadan' seems to entail, but I am loyal to him and I charge myself with his protection. And I really am rather attached to him, in what I imagine must be a grand-childlike way.

That is probably the closest someone like me can come to this.

Hedge Your Bets

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

I am not Qunari.

As for the male parent, what is the importance of that?

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Thu May 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Parents are the people that raise you. Aren't there parents in the Qunari?
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal-Vashoth Saarebas Thu May 16, 2013 1:12 pm

That is odd. Very odd.

I was raised by the Tamassrans, who chose the two who would make me, gave me my name, picked my day of birth, and assigned me my role. As it is with any born within the Qunari.

The ones who make you are irrelevant. No Qunari knows their "father" or who the female equivalent is.

Do not call me Qunari.

Tal-Vashoth Saarebas

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm not, but it was a question about the Qunari. Since you know them, you would be best to answer Falon.

Here, parents are supposed to be the ones that raise you. You are part of your father's family, and Uncle says you're supposed to learn your father's trade.
Isen
Isen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum